Introduction to GBA Plus
Legal counsel can help to assess legal risks associated with initiatives and develop strategies to minimize those risks. GBA Plus can assist in identifying potential legal risks for all people, including those with Charter implications.
Some questions to consider are:
- Does this issue have the potential to negatively affect groups of people in different ways?
- Is one group particularly advantaged or disadvantaged?
- Are there particular legal obligations to a particular group (e.g. Indigenous people) or party that need to be taken into account?
- Is there potential for Charter or human rights challenges as a result of the initiative?
- What kinds of legal risks exist? Is there the potential for a precedent to be set or challenged? Is there ongoing litigation that relates to the issue?
- Would this serve to reinforce or to address historical inequities?